Tuesday 25 October 2016

navigating through the NHS [other imperfections]



The National Health Service (NHS) in England is fantastic, and I was able to put it to the test during the past month. When my little one started with a cold, I did not really worry much about it. In the nursery she attends everyone was going through similar symptoms, and at the primary school my eldest attends all sorts of bugs were going round – something quite common with the start of term and Autumn. I expected things to naturally improve, so I did not really consider a trip to the doctor’s office until her symptoms started to get worse.

There's no point taking a child to the GP with cold-like symptoms so early on because they often send us back home with advice on managing fever with paracetamol and ibuprofen, and a recommendation to return if there is a clear worsening of symptoms and/or a fever that takes longer than 5-10 days.

If it is a virus (and in most of cases, that’s what it is), then there’s really nothing they can do. Antibiotics are only effective for bacterial infections. Sadly, M’s condition deteriorated from her viral infection very rapidly. With the fever came the terrible chesty cough, and later that night, wheezing and grunting with every breath. The first thing I did was call the girls dad. I was already feeling that this was serious and that we would likely end up seeing a doctor or, worse even, being transported to hospital. Someone had to look after my eldest, who was already sound asleep. I then called 111.

The 111 number works as a triage for less serious health concerns and/or conditions. Depending of the situation, and after a preliminary assessment, they can arrange for a doctor to call, or book an emergency appointment with a GP at a local clinic or hospital. They are also able to trigger emergency services (ambulances) should they feel the situation requires urgent medical care. This was not a life or death situation - for that people should really dial 999 - but it was serious enough.


My little one was struggling a lot and it did not take long for the nurse on the phone to assess this and send an ambulance over to my home. It took a few minutes only. First came a doctor, ahead of the ambulance who confirmed it was not life-threatening but warranted a trip to the hospital. M’s oxygen levels were low, and her fever (which would not bulge regardless of the ibuprofen/paracetamol every 4 hrs, alternated), alongside her increased heart rate were of concern.

With my eldest sound alseep, I had to call my neighbour to help until the girls’ dad arrived.

When we arrived at the hospital we were sent to triage straight away, and soon after we were given a bed at the children’s A&E. Between the different tests and exams, including inhaler therapies and a chest X-Ray, I have nothing bad to say. I was always informed about what was going on, and I was treated with respect and compassion - even when I emotionally crumbled I felt I was supported throughout the time my little one was there.

M did not really improve her oxygen levels and heart rate whilst in the A&E so she was admitted at the children’s ward at 7am. I managed to sleep one hour before then, but after a long night like that I was hungry, exhausted and nervous at the fact the X-Ray had detected a lung infection in its early stages, meaning a course of antibiotics was needed, as well as some more inhaler treatment. We spent all day in the ward, played in the children’s room (which was full of lovely toys), and I was offered free breakfast and lunch because I was breastfeeding.


At the end of the day, after a long and repairing nap on my chest, tye little one was finally starting to show signs of getting better. Her oxygen levels were back to normal, and her heart rate was still high but on the mend. We were released from hospital a couple of hours later, with antibiotic and inhaler, after being told to return immediately if her breathing got worse or if she needed the inhaler more often than every 4 hours. I did not have to return until a week or so ago, when she started showing the same symptoms and I panicked. However, this time around the issue was triggered by a UTI, which has now been managed with a course of a different type of antibiotic.

My eldest also caught her sister’s chest infection soon after, but she only needed a trip to the GP and a course of antibiotics to get well. At the moment things are calm and quiet, and I hope they keep that way. I must, however, express my gratitude to all those who looked after my little one at home, hospital and ward – including my lovely neighbour, family and friends who stood by us during these very challenging times. Thank you.

For life or death emergencies, always dial 999.

by Leonor Silva de Matos


No comments:

Post a Comment